Thursday, September 08, 2005

My new life as Smurfette...

Is there some freak force of nature that dictates the higher a man's pay, the lower his rank on the good looks, height and charm totem pole???

After nearly four years of working in PR firms with mostly J.A.P.s and a handful of Don Divas, I was more than eager to make the switch to my latest industry, which happens to boast a male-to-female ratio that is only contested by a Catholic seminary, Riker's Island, or a 'fab' state-of-the-art condo at Bleecker & 7th Ave. Yet, while I began my new career single and presumably as happy as Smurfette the morning after, I soon realized that in addition mostly-male surroundings, the men of Wall $treet (or at least my bank) actually share a few more characteristics with CartoonLand's favorite 'ville of 100. Like the Smurfs, they're vertically-challenged; wear entirely too much pale blue (I think wearing Royal is an actual a sin, punishable by death); oft times appear pale themselves, and look, talk and walk exactly the same as all the nymphs in the tribe.

Upon realizing that it's not 1987 and my office is not a movie set - so I shouldn't expect for a young, sexy Charlie Sheen to round my desk at any moment - I began to come to terms with the fact that a higher quantity of men does not necessarily equal a higher quantity of good looking men. It could really mean just more not so good-looking men.

I am sure Smurfette figured it out, too, which probably explains why homey never bothered to change her outfit.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
CFHunter said...

As those of us who have worked in Male-Dominated fields for years have been saying, you only find your "Marcus" (Boomerang reference) in the workplace one in a hundred times. While sheer volume does increase the potential of unearthing a gem, it also increases the group think/look mentality and you get a whole lot of the corporate "blahs" instead. Keep weeding through all those average Joe-smurfs because just like everything else, the longer you are working with them, the better they become (think back to your high school and college days - the boys didn't really get better, we just began to appreciate them for other reasons). Keep it smurfy, Smurfette.

Anonymous said...

Keep up the good work business cards 26 forms free Kerrison toys in norwich

Anonymous said...

That's a great story. Waiting for more. » » »