Monday, November 28, 2005

Daily 'hi' and inhaling on the job...

If after reading this morning's headline your mind automatically registered anything to do with the title of Dre's first solo album, a nasty, persistent cough and/or sniffle, Rick James or how you chose to fill some extra time (read: several hours) this past weekend, then you need help, mi hija, in a real bad way....

The "hi" and inhaling at work that I am referring to is of the barely-audible-grunt variety. Confused? On Friday, I was happily strolling from the office pantry to the trading floor, when low and behold appeared Bob. Now, I am just assigning dude a name for purposes of my post, but who the hell knows what his mother calls him. But, anyhow, I digress...

I noticed dude approaching me from afar and suddenly became annoyed at the thought I would have to produce a cheery greeting for yet another perfectly unknown 25-20. Now, considering the happy and uber-gregarious, original-Midwesterner that I be, I generally don't have problems speaking to anybody -- EVEN with dimmed lights, barren, narrow hallways and rumors of white men going Postal and gunning down people like me at work abound. So, of course, I was taken aback when I failed to produce my usual workplace Uncle Willie hello and instead came with the same 'ish that Bob's peeps are notoriously known for doing when faced with people whom make them feel uncomfortable. People who just happen to look like you and me.

I inhaled the word 'hi,' which more so ended up sounding like I was short of breath or, even more so, the quickened pant of a Project pooch neck-chained to a fence and stuck on a hot ass patch of asphalt in the middle of July, taunted by the sight of an empty, overturned pickle jar promoted to a makeshift water bowl... Ok, so you get the point already...

Dude looked pretty damn confused. Kind of like "what the hell do you have to be scared about???" His obvious as hell reaction was actually pretty funny. Yet, I do need to work on my corporate game. I'm slipping a bit...

R.