Tuesday, March 21, 2006

Apprentice, Week 4: R.I.P. Fatty "Black"


Other than the fact that yet another loserette decided to cry for sympathy, Trump's dismissal of Fatty "Black" was the ONLY - Cocoa repeats, ONLY - interesting thing about episode #4. And even this shyt was a given.

What did prove interesting, however, was the realization that Brent (above) shares a common issue (problem?) with many black folks who have also experienced their fare share of unfair treatment on the job. And, just like with many black folks, he did not know how to handle it.

Now, before the hatemail comments of sorts start to fly, let it be known that Cocoa is not at all suggesting that Brent’s brand of discrimination is of the Black man’s proof. Yet, I do feel the pettiness, marginalization and stereotyping that he faced at the hands of his teammates (coworkers) and Trump (boss) is not much unlike the covert everyday, bullshyt that Cocoas face when competing in an environment where they’re the minority. Also, not much unlike many of his workplace siblings in strife, Brent’s long-term issues, resentment and bitterness got the best of him and ultimately ruined his chances for success. Simply put: he self-destructed.

With Brent’s first day on the job, everyone could tell that he was still the fat kid left out of all the fun. He even said so himself on camera, foolishly choosing to explain why he was the last one picked for a team. Fast-forward four challenges - and four chances to prove himself something different - later and dude is still the resident fat, sloppy, irresponsible, non-hip, insecure, squeaky-voice AND angry fatso who failed to contradict nan one negative impression. So, he had to go.

My first job; first partially-impartial boss, and first bonafide cubenemy all taught me that while I may be unfairly stereotyped at work, it is my responsibility to do everything in my power to not prove the mofos correct. Meaning, if some really really whiny, yet racially savvy, WG cries to paint me hostile, then I need not break out the street-Cocoa when confronting the situation with an equally-ignorant H.R. Or, if I somehow figure out that my colleagues are questioning (to the boss) my ability to be a true team player, then I need not sit an Underground Railroad distance from every last one of them beyotches at the monthly staff meeting. Or - in the case of Fatty "Black" Brent - if your teammates keep yelling that you are difficult to work with and suck at your job, then CHILL THE F$CK OUT!

Worst all of was the fact that Brent was never once to blame for his team's losses. Not even last night. So, he should have been able to return to the Trump suite unscathed. Hell, Cry-me-a-rive Drea created the monstrosity that caused their team to lose the challenge. So she was fit for the firing squad. Yet, instead of allowing shyt run its course, Brent decided to launch this "everybody's unfair to me because I'M FAT" tirade and everybody rode his defensive, rude and hostile outburst like the joyride that it was. He was right - they all did want that figger gone - including the other (real?) minority on his team. In the end, he made their dreams come true, while ending his very own. The same way I did on jobs number 1 and 2, when I failed to realize that the only way to (try and) combat a stereotype is to make sure that you do not fulfill it.

COCOA'S PINKSLIP PREDICTION FOR NEXT WEEK:

I dunno, but Roxanne "I'm in love with a skrippa" Shante (girly's got a thang for tabletop earrings - the ones last night were beyond terrible!) is shown proclaiming to some unwitting fool "RESPECT....RESPECT." So, Cocoa will most definitely tune back in.

CG./R.

21 comments:

mrs.tj said...

Just checking in.
I don't watch the show, but wanted to make sure I said HEY! and have a Fab day today at the corp slave ship!
Holla!

Supa said...

Hey Cocoa!

Bout to read the post...I'm just lmao at that pitiful ass picture!!!

Please don't tell me he cried.....

Single Ma said...

Girl I come to your blog and learn a whole new vocabulary. I’m sitting here SMH and CDFU @ "cubenemy" and "figger"

You gave me flashbacks with the Roxanne Shante. I don’t watch the show but please tell me that aint her real name. Back in the day, Roxanne used to be my girl with her battle raps. LOL

Cocoa Girl said...

Mrs TJ is seriously AA (anti Apprentice)...girl, I ain't mad atcha. I am really waiting for the drama to pick up!

Supa - He did not cry (thank goodness - I was praying that he wouldn't represent Team Chunk like so)

SingleMa - I'm crazy, what else can I say. No, her name is not 'shante' but those earrings were HORRID. I am searching for a pic of them now!

Not a hipster said...

SMH- shaking my head?

CDFU- cracking da f- up?

haha, am I way off?

The Sarccastik Variable Why said...

haven't seen it...i might check it out...

Cocoa Girl said...

NAH - You've just educated me...I was totally here scratching my head. SingleMom is a serious blogspeak pro.

Sarccastik - Check it out, but don't say I told ya to do it...LOL

Cocoa Girl said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Single Ma said...

un huh @ hipster

Not a hipster said...

LOL, I got it!

Kenny said...

I was really upset with that decision. I hope that team goes down in flames, which they will, eventually. Andrea, ugh, no comment.

Cocoa Girl said...

Oh my! Did you hear Ms. All-That Andrea's "Um, I wouldn't say all that" response when Roxanne said she felt Tammy was the best project manager thus far!

She has a serious arrogant attitude and believe me when I say that that shyt did not go unnoticed. Trump's gonna get her in the end.

EmergingPhoenix said...

The SO and I thought "fatty black" (LOL at that name)was a ringer at first, until his little diatribe in the board room. Hell, he could still be a ringer that was a little tooo good at being obnoxious.

The minute "fatty black" started throwing out harsh words, I knew he was gone. Unfortunately he was his own undoing. I wish he coulda held it together a little longer...the SO and I thought he was in the perfect situation to prove that he wasn't a liability and the rest of the group were poor judges of character.

EmergingPhoenix said...

Oh...the SO agrees with you. He thinks Roxanne will be the next to go, but I disagree. At least I hope she won't be the next to go.

Cocoa Girl said...

Hey EP - I didn't think there was much hope left for Brent, but I def thought he had a chance to ride out last night. He did indeed blow it for himself.

BTW, question...who's "SO"...sorry, but I'm jus askin'...

EmergingPhoenix said...

Cocoa - SO = Significant Other - The Man =)

Clay said...

i saw that guy on Best Week Ever or one of those shows - he is a mess! too bad he was interesting though and now he's gone!

Cocoa Girl said...

EP - *blank stare* Don't know why I didn't get that one.

Clay - Yes, he was interesting, the complete opposite of anyone else on that show. Like I said before, someone betta get ran-over, stabbed, slapped or gay-married in the next week or else.

Mrs A. said...

i dont watch this show...but you're making me want to :-P

solitaire said...

Girl, The Man is working me overtime and my health is suffering as a result. :o(

I am DEAD TIRED. EXHAUSTIMICATED. I downloaded Monday's episode... haven't watched it yet.

All I can say is, CHARMAINE MUST GO. With her country bamma ass >:o(

Anonymous said...

That's a great story. Waiting for more. Keyword protonix and weight gain boards 1972 buick apollo covers seat Half loan payday price Best anit spam filter oe Radar detector review information Accutane centre patent legal Interracial mature sexy site web amature outdoor blowjob Alabama laser tatoo removal Suicides while on wellbutrin Groups talk about buspar Kincaid leather sofa ratings Volvo brake line junction box panasonic rebate form projector Onetime jeep manufacturer Nanaimo honda bureau credit online report xxasdf