Monday, March 13, 2006

The 'mini' made me do it!

Do, do, do, do, doo...do ooh...
Do, do, do, do, doo...

As around the sun the earth knows she's revolving
And the rosebuds know to bloom in early May
Just as hate knows love's the cure
You can rest your mind assure
That I'll be loving you always...


As now can't reveal the mystery of tomorrow
But in passing we'll grow older every day
Just as all that's born is new
You know what I say is true
That I'll be loving you always ...

-- Stevie Wonder, 'As'

These lyrics, along with seven other songs from Mr. Wonder and a small, silver Satan incarnate of a machine, is the reason why it's 1208a and Cocoa is more than two hours late going to bed. What's this got to do with a Monday morning? If you're a black working person, you should already know the answer. However, I recognize that I'se have some non-Cocoa folks checking me out, so in the spirit of workplace diversity, I'll spell it out:

A certain employed person of color will now undoubtedly be late for work today, for like the 364th time this past year.

I don't know about you, but GOOD music is like crack to this Cocoa...can't be a productive f*cking adult with it, but absolutely cannot get by without it, either. Based on my habit of sorts, I should have KNOWN better than to pick up the I-peezy with only 59 minutes left until lights out. I thought about selecting a playlist "Hip Hop - New" (nope!); "Electronica" (nah) and deiced to just freestyle through the alphabetical song list. I was doing okay at first, meaning I was still being productive, cleaning while bobbing my head to the beat. Be Happy kicked off the dishwashing session, while Brotha, Brown Sugar, Beautiful Struggle and Black Girl Pain, and Can't Keep Running Away got me a little hyped to the point of where I began taking a mental note of The Kitty taking note that she might need to run for cover. With that, I decided to (try to) calm my ass down.

Everything beyond Pharcyde became a total blur... All I can remember is taking off my fleece and proceeding to two-step and spin about wildly as if competing in a Britney/Justin danceoff with that fierce be-yotch Miss Jay! Do I Do, led me to the Stevie song list, which led me to Part Time Lover, My Cherie Amor, and today's featured hit, As. In the short span of 20 minutes (which after several hits of the back, replay, arrow stretched into 1.5 hours), I think I managed to fantasize myself as a fabulous gay man, a dancing queen (of the chick variety), and a newly-minted fiancee, being serenaded by my new fiance all at once!

Now, if this Cocoa could only find a way to imagine herself a punctual employee, then she'd really be onto something. G'nite and Good morning!

CG./R.

23 comments:

Unruly Brown said...

Heyy, I like the new look! Don't know if I'm late for noticing or what, but it's looking good!

So you're saying you can't go to bed late and still be at work on time and your music is the culprit. lol Too funny. Reminds me of a certain supa sister on the west coast who rides the "habitual" late bus. lol

Well, pleasant dreams! Hope you have a great Monday despite a late start!

P.S. Link to my new blog and site should be available tomorrow!

Cocoa Girl said...

Thanks for the comp, OCS.

Yeah, I thought I could beat the beast...got to work at 815a. Damn, damn, damn...

I'll be on the lookout for that link...

Knockout Zed said...

I got to work at 8:15 too! Why oh why are we all so afflicted!

KZ

Cocoa Girl said...

I dunno, Zed. I am beginning to think that Black folk's chronic lateness should qualify as am official disorder under the ADA list!

Miss Ahmad said...

ooh the Ipod. luckily I have a job where I can listen to mine at my desk and just tune folks the hell out, while i'm getting my Poncho Sanchez groove on, or whatever!

Ipods are awesome!

Supa said...

Heeeyy!! (all late)

Cocoa, glad to hear you're enjoying your Ipod aka I-peezie. :)lol. I am oh so familiar with puttin' on those headphones, bobbin' around the house, dancing & actin' a fool and what not, then look up and it's....2 am?!?! What the fizzle???!!!

But, good soul- affirming music can do that to ya!! (aka audio crack)

"I'm hooked, n%gga!" (dave chappelle voice)

As for getting to work on time - girl, please. I've started to take the attitude that they should be lucky I even SHOW UP AT ALL!!! lol

PS - I love Pharcyde, that's my shits. Cool dudes, they hail from MY side of the world. :)

Nichelle said...

Since I am still living the 'Broke Diaries', I haven't graduated to iPod status yet. But I do have iTunes on my laptop, so I'm getting there!

Single Ma said...

Am I the only one in the world without an Ipod? LOL

Girl, I've been at work since 6:30a. I didn't sleep AT ALL last night, so I said what da hell and got on up. I'm sleepy now so I aint no good right now. Thank goodness I'm leaving at 4.

Harlem Songstress said...

Happy Monday y'all! The weather is BEAUTIFUL in NYC and I can't complain :)

Yes--I am the biggest violater of being late due to "music-itis". Anyone within 3 feet of me can hear me exclaim "OHH that's MAH SONG!!!" every time a different song comes on...but duh--I created the playlist so it should be!!! It's just that no matter how many times I hear certain songs, each time I hear it, more often than not it is like hearing it for the first time :)

p.s. I was up late too, but I had "Flava-itis" watching the show's finale (please don't tell anyone !)

Cocoa Girl said...

Miss A - I wish!

Supa - I AM so hooked! It's like crack, mane (Eddie Griffith voice)! LMAO at "I've started to take the attitude that they should be lucky I even SHOW UP AT ALL."

Only a negra...only a negra...

Nichelle & Single Ma - Mr. I-Peezy was a donation-eezy from some friends with extra cash flow. The hubby was upgrading to a Nano and had to chuck this one. They're also the same folks who sponsored my dinner and dessert plans on Saturday. No, it's not that kind of party.

HarlemSongtress - You KNOW I feel you on everything except that Flava Flav atrocity...did they actually show chicks kissing him on camera!?!?!?

Oh, gotta go, I think I feel my lunch coming up...

Paula D. said...

Hilarious! My 'broke status' won't let me go there to get an ipod, but I feel you about some good music! Funny Post

Harlem Songstress said...

CG-yess they was ALL UP in his grill (yuck!)

I have an MP3 player but its not an ipod....1 gb and right now I have close to 500 songs on there and I love it. I can't leave home without it!

With all the electronic gadgets now-a-days I have so much crap to throw in my purse on the way out..

cell phone (check)
metrocard (check)
keys (check)
Palm pilot(check)
MP3 (check)
work ID (check)
wallet (check)
mase (check)-hey I live in the city!

Studies (not sure who conducted)state that everyone-and-their-grandma who is toting around music devices with the earphones that stick directly in your ears are most likley (and probably) going to have hearing problems when they get older :(

Clay said...

good think i get to work late cuz early morning hours can make a brother be late ...

Nichelle said...

Cocoa Girl: I feel you on the friends with extra cash flow. I've been sponsored a few times (okay, a lot!) myself...

HarlemSongstress: I am proud to say that I did not see one episode of that Flava Flav mess! How could you stand it? Didn't it make your eyes hurt? LOL!

Harlem Songstress said...

Nichelle--yea it did hurt my eyes-lol BUT I JUST COULDN'T TURN AWAY! :( I know I am a disgrace...help me!! lol

Cocoa Girl said...

Ok, we're apparently going to need a 'Flava of Love' support group for ya'll junkies!

Paula D - thanks for checking out CG!

Clay - Long time, no see. Always nice to have you...BTW, is that picture really you??? Perhaps, I could convert ya this way...LOL

Nichelle - Glad to know that I'm not the only one being sponsored up in here...LOL

Cocoa Girl said...

BTW, The Apprentice, Season 5, Week 3...tonight on NBC and tomorrow on Cocoa Girl!

Nichelle said...

Harlem songstress: You are not a disgrace -- you just have a strong stomach!

Cocoa Girl: Look on the bright side, one day WE will be the sponsors!

Robin said...

My ipod gets me through the 40 minutes on the elliptical machine but I don't dare listen to it at night, I would never go to sleep! You and I have the same affliction.

Cocoa Girl said...

:( We need to join an addiction group, Robin.

Anonymous said...

Wonderful and informative web site. I used information from that site its great. »

Anonymous said...

That's a great story. Waiting for more. voyeur Travel site student loan consolidation11 redlining of condo loans advance cash loan online payday Fast cash in gran theft auto san andreas Tooth whitening o dentist n office potter 26 brumfield circuit breakers Prices for permanent laser hair removal florida Microsoft training little rock http://www.hair-loss-treatment-2.info/dual_car_cd_player.html

Anonymous said...

Wonderful and informative web site. I used information from that site its great. » » »